SPIDA Strip Down Underway
Well, unfortunately I've been incredibly busy with work the last 12 months due to a major redevelopment of our software, so time spent on SPIDA has been very limited. Having said that though, I have been making significant progress in gearing up for SPIDA's respray.
Last year I purchased a spare 74 TA22 as a parts car, having several parts less rusted than those on SPIDA. I've also been accumulating various parts from door and window rubbers, through to some more suspension parts and bits and pieces I knew I'd be needing to replace.
I also did a 6 week Restoration Spray Painting course at Carlisle TAFE earlier this year, which I highly recommend. This gave me an appreciation of what's involved in getting an old car ready for a good quality paint job, what to look for in paints, etc and to be confident to do some of the work myself. While I still plan to send the car to others for key/professional work, I'm planning to do a lot of the prep and sanding work myself. On that front, I've also purchased several bits of gear to do that.
I'm about to have November off work on holidays, and plan to spend 2 weeks of that working on the car. As a "lead-in" to that, I started stripping the car down 3 weeks ago, in terms of removing bumpers, lights and other mainly external parts. Still quite a bit to do, but at least it's underway now. I've also touched base with the shop which I plan to have my rust repairs, etc. done at, and we'll be seeing what progress I've made by mid November and make a plan from there as to whether the whole car or parts start getting fed through for work there.
I've also started to make sure things such as an alloy windscreen washer, oil catch can and radiator overflow are fitted, so that any holes I need to drill are done before I prepare/paint the car. I also plan to fabricate a cold-air box for the pod air filter too, again so that any holes for plumbing and fittings are subsequently painted and protected from corrosion. I don't want to drill later if it can be helped.
I also removed one of the chrome strips around the rear window, but I think I'll leave this to a professional window remover/fitter as it is probably best left to someone with the right tools, experience, etc. The black "stuff" they use to seal them is amazingly sticky!
The following photo is as of tonight, where I removed the passenger front quarter panel. I've also checked the "donor" bonnet to make sure it will not clash with anything as the old bonnet had cuts in the underside bracing to clear the original turbo plumbing. The "donor" bonnet will fit and work without cutting and has less rust than my original bonnet, so my plan is to use the blue bonnet.